Sunday, July 25, 2010

Things Are Better Now

A year ago, not long after I stopped writing here, things were pretty bad. I ended up homeless and penniless. Pretty frightening, although the homeless part only lasted a few hours until a cousin took me in. Never in a million years would I have thought such a thing could happen to me. I have worked my entire life. Yet, like so much of the middle class in America today, I have lost everything I have worked for. I don't know if I'll ever be secure again.

I found a good job, with health insurance that I can afford. This was before the Health Care Reform Act passed. I'm one of the lucky ones, and I'm glad that some steps are now being taken for others to have insurance too.

My job is good because it is fairly secure, and the pay is well-above minimum wage. Not quite two times minimum wage, not that well above! Still, in this day and age I am grateful. I like the people I work with, but we work very very hard for our money. I have seven years of college collectively, and a lifetime of work experience. This is what is available--and the pay you get for that-- in America today.

Unlike so many, I am not angry at President Obama for all he hasn't accomplished. Considering the sorry state our country was in when he took office, and that we are fighting two wars, I think he's done a remarkable job. Yet, there is so much hate out there against him. I don't understand how people could tolerate so much from Bush, yet will not cut Obama one second of 'slack'.

Meanwhile it has been so incredibly hot. Terribly debilitatingly hot hot humid and hot. When I retire someday I'm going to find a piece of whatever is left of a glacier and sit on it until I die. Maybe, then, I will cool off!

No comments: